Tuesday, March 20, 2012

MET & Art of the Arab Lands, Turkey, Iran, Central Asia, and Later South Asia

While I am at it, let me post this as well...

I went to see the MET last week (I almost had an art attack last few weeks :D). There was a new section called 'Art of the Arab Lands, Turkey, Iran, Central Asia, and Later South Asia'. There we saw this rather interesting miniature below. Miniature is a type of painting where perspective is missing and various things are abstracted. It is a form of art. You can check out Persian and Ottoman miniature.

Anyway, the below miniature is from a 16th century book by the Persian poet Sa'di. What is interesting about it is that, it shows the Prophet Muhammad's face. I have never seen this before, as usually the face is drawn blank or is veiled. After doing some web search, I later learned that the Prophet's face was drawn in Persian illustrations until the 1500s.





No comments:

Post a Comment